Author Topic: 3rd Cousin Marriage  (Read 8281 times)

hyperbolepanda

3rd Cousin Marriage
« on: Apr 12, 2009, 02:23 AM »
Hello everyone,

I am a bit confused about the marriage laws in Oklahoma. Are 3rd cousins allowed to marry here in Oklahoma or not?

Thanks!

Offline ColoradoMarried

• Administrator
Re: 3rd Cousin Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Apr 12, 2009, 03:45 AM »
First, to answer your question, yes, absolutely!  In fact, 3rd cousins are allowed to marry in all 50 states.

Second, you actually KNOW your third cousin? LOL!  I don't think I could even trace my lineage to discover any third cousins (you might be one!).  :grin:

Offline Romalee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Apr 12, 2009, 08:38 AM »
FRom oklahoma huh?  You might be one of my cousins,too. :grin:

CM, I have been doing some genealogy work on one side of my family and have the names of some of those cousins, haven't figured out exactly the relationship. but getting close.

Offline Kasienda

• Living in the moment
« Reply #3 on: Apr 12, 2009, 01:24 PM »
In fact, 2nd cousin marriage is legal in every state! And first cousins once removed are only prohibited in six states.
Life is not what it is supposed to be. Life is what it is.

hyperbolepanda

« Reply #4 on: Apr 18, 2009, 06:53 PM »
Haha, yes. I know my third cousin(s). We knew we were related and decided to trace it back. That is how we figured out what degree of cousins we are.

I am glad to hear that it is legal! That means that someday, if I choose, I can marry my partner!

Offline theworldislove

« Reply #5 on: Apr 18, 2009, 10:41 PM »
yep, 3rd cousins are legal in all states!
wasnt FDR and his wife 3rd cousins? or were they second? I always get confused with that. HAH!
Forbidden love equals the best type of love out there. It's a love no one can resist.

Offline Kasienda

• Living in the moment
« Reply #6 on: Apr 19, 2009, 02:30 PM »
FDR and Eleanor were 2nd cousins.
Life is not what it is supposed to be. Life is what it is.

Offline sanguine panther

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Apr 19, 2009, 02:38 PM »
CM, if you were from my neck of the wood you certainly would know some of your third cousins.  You might, after a little geneology research, find that you have a set of triple-third cousins with whom you share 3 sets of great-great-grandparents.   -sp

Offline ColoradoMarried

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: Apr 20, 2009, 03:51 AM »
At times, I do wish I knew more of my family.  I only knew two of my four sets of great-grandparents, one being my father's mother's parents and the other being my mother's mother's parents.  I don't know anything about any of my great-grandparents siblings other than that they had some.  I've been able to trace a little of my geneology backward quite a ways but very, very little in terms of lateral geneology.

Now, the interesting thing is that I have two great-great-grandfathers with the exact same name, both late 19th-century immigrants from Sweden.  It's entirely possible that my two great-grandmothers were distant cousins.  Now wouldn't that be a head trip to find out my own parents were related!  :cheesy:

Offline SissyMoo

« Reply #9 on: Apr 20, 2009, 09:42 PM »
During a recent trip to North Carolina, my son and Ben's daughters met. Since Ben & I are second cousins, our children are third cousins (correct??).

Anyways, it just works out that my dad is 8 years older than his mom, and my dad had me pretty late in life. So Ben & I are 3 years apart, and my oldest son & Ben's oldest daughter are only 2 years apart.

I'm hoping now that they know each other, & since I plan to make it back there a few times a year, that the children will carry on, and they're children can know each other, and so on.

To add to that, his daughter & my son had obvious crushes on each other. Not that we are into arranged marriages, or wish them to go through any of the pain we have...but to see the innocence in them, and blushing cheeks and the sneaky smiles at each other, even her trying to hold my son's hand...who knows, this could turn into a downhome country family affair.

You know, my family is from West Virginia, and both our parents had some sort of "fling" once...let's keep it in the family y'all!

Itís the moments I was convinced it was ok to give everything I had, is when everything I had was stolen away.

Offline ColoradoMarried

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: Apr 21, 2009, 12:21 PM »
Your children would be second cousins once removed

Offline Romalee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: Apr 21, 2009, 04:38 PM »
Isn't that the same as third cousins CM?

Offline ColoradoMarried

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: Apr 21, 2009, 04:42 PM »
Not as far as I know.  From what I understand, third cousins are related through a common pair of great-great-grandparents.  Second cousins are related through a common pair of great-grandparents.  Once removed is the designation for the cousin of a parent.  My dad's first cousin is my first cousin once-removed (whose kids would be my second cousins) and his second cousin is my second cousin once-removed (whose kids would be my third cousins?). 

Argh!

Now I'm going to have to draw a chart to see where I'm confusing myself!

Offline SissyMoo

« Reply #13 on: Apr 21, 2009, 04:49 PM »
my dad and ben's mom share a grandmother.

ben & i share a great gramma.

my kids and ben's kids share a great great gramma.

so, our children are 3rd cousins to each other. right?

anyways, at the end of the day, we're family. it's just interesting to see how "family" we really are. at that point, is there any shared blood?
Itís the moments I was convinced it was ok to give everything I had, is when everything I had was stolen away.

Offline ColoradoMarried

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: Apr 21, 2009, 05:00 PM »
LOL. I had to look at the Kinship Chart on the home page... and it reminded me that they're BOTH! 

I remember I had to figure this out for a relative back when we first had kids: My kids are also my first cousins once removed and second cousins to each other.  Their first cousins are also their second cousins.  Of course, in cases of double relation, the closer relation takes precedence.  Okay... so like you said, we're family.

admin